Mark your calendars and assemble your teams for the 2nd annual Greater Philadelphia Birdathon! This 24-hour, friendly birding competition will take place from 5pm on May 5th to 5pm on May 6th. Whether you’ve been birding for decades or just started noticing the birds in your backyard, all skill levels are welcome to participate, because this event is all about one thing: celebrating and supporting bird populations, together.
Teams will help raise funds for any non-profit conservation organization, birding organization, Birdtown, or specific project of their choosing that seeks to do any or all of the following:
- Protect birds and their habitat,
- Make our communities bird friendly,
- Make birding more accessible and inclusive for all.
Birds are facing significant challenges – from habitat loss and climate change, to decreasing food availability and increasingly difficult migrations. They need us (all of us) to care about them before it’s too late. This event will help raise funds for the people who are working to support bird populations and those who seek to make birding something that everyone can enjoy.
How it Works
- Gather at least 1 teammate and as many as 10 (if you’re the one putting together a team, that makes you the Team Captain!).
- Come up with a team name, which can be anything you want.
- Pick your competition category.
- Choose a non-profit conservation or birding club/organization, Birdtown, or project, for which your team will raise funds.
- Make sure all teammates register under the same name, in the same category, and ideally before April 28th.
- Plan where your team will bird, which can be anywhere within Montgomery, Bucks, Delaware, Chester, and/or Philadelphia Counties.
- Go birding! Identify as many species as possible during the competition period.
- Submit your checklist before 5pm on May 6th.
- Celebrate with fellow birders at the After(birding) Party at 6pm!
Your registration fees will cover Wyncote Audubon’s event expenses, including the costs of an event sticker and refreshments for the Swap Meet and After(birding) Party.
More details below!